Cinnamon Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal
Nothing quite says comfort like this hot Cinnamon Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal for breakfast. The combination of the hearty steel cut oats with cinnamon, dried or fresh apples, chopped pecans and a spiced apple cider syrup is the perfect way to begin a cold winter or fall day. Simply prepare the Oats and Cinnamon Apple Syrup the night before and you’ll have a quick hot nutritious breakfast that everyone will enjoy. You can find steel cut oats at your local bulk grain store or try McCann’s Steel Cut Oatmeal.
- 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
- 3 Cups of Apple Cider
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Dried Apples
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Roasted Pecans
- Apple Cinnamon Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil 3 Cups of Apple Cider in a 6 Cup Saucepan, once at a boil add the 1 Cup of Steel Cut Oats and let come back to a boil stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and cover, let stand overnight the stovetop. Place the Pecans in a glass or aluminum pie plate and place the oven for 7 minutes until fragrant. Remove and let cool completely before adding to a zip lock bag. Chop the dried apples and place in a zip lock bag till morning.
- In the morning, heat the oats until hot. Serve in a bowl topped with the chopped dried apples and pecans.
- Some people like their oats with a little milk or cream drizzled over the top. Feel free to customize to your liking. If you prefer softer oats, simply add another cup of water to cook your oats. I added dried sour cherries to this oatmeal for a tart note to the sweetness of the apples and concentrated apple cider.